Has my CD-R drive died?

sitokaja 22:28 04 Dec 05

CD-R drive failed half way through burning a disk last week, same thing happened tonight. Now eject button does not work and drive does not function. Have tried both system restore & CD-DVD fix programme. Drive no longer found on boot up, not listed in 'my computer' or device manager. When attempting to access through desk top sort-cut I receive the following message. "The driver or network connection that the 'shortcut to CD Drive.Ink' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk or network resource si available and try again."
1. Has my drive died?
2. If not what should I try next?
3. If it's dead can any one recommend a good , but not too expensive DVD rewriter?

Skyver 22:50 04 Dec 05

It sounds like it's dead, yes.
If you can open your PC case, check the power and IDE cables to the drive, try swapping a molex power connector with a spare unused one if there is one.
If you go into your BIOS by hitting Delete or F2 (it may tell you at the boot screen) and you still can't get the PC to auto-detect the drive then it's scrap.
I've got a NEC3520 which has performed flawlessly for the last year...lots to choose from here click here

MAJ 22:52 04 Dec 05

Either it has died or the ribbon cable is faulty, sitokaja. If you can, move the drive to the same ribbon cable that your hard drive is on, changing the jumper on the drive to "Slave" if necessary, see if it is then detected by Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac