Has IE7 crashed my system?

bazza123 19:40 05 Dec 06

I was in the middle of upgrading to IE7 when the screen froze and my only option was to switch off the power as nothing else worked. I have read on the forum elsewhere that if there is a problem during "update" the system just hangs anyway. Unfortunately no matter what I do now I cannot boot up - the screen just goes blank after the initial checks - even booting from Windows XP CD won't work - it just hangs as soon as it says "setup is inspecting your hardware".
What can I do? I've checked the cables, swapped the memory, its a new hard drive & CD/DVD writer -
PLEASE HELP!

birdface 19:49 05 Dec 06

Can you start in safe mode, And run last good configuration,

bazza123 19:56 05 Dec 06

No - doesn't respond to F8 either!!

anskyber 20:39 05 Dec 06

Do you mean on installation as opposed to download? If so disable your anti virus if you have not done so.

anskyber 20:41 05 Dec 06

Or try this click here

birdface 20:50 05 Dec 06

Happened to my son the other day,Downloading something from microsoft,Same thing happened,Would almost start, But then just black screen. Got as far as running file check then looked as though it was going to start,But just kept freezing,Ended up re-formating it, Hope you dont have to go through all that.The longer he kept it switched off at the plug, It used to improve slightly,Anyhow I am sure someone will be able to help you out, But the only other way is through the Bios,And I know nothing about that.

bazza123 23:42 05 Dec 06

Anskyber - that would be OK if I could get the computer working again!!

birdface 11:27 06 Dec 06

I should have added, that when I opened my sons computer it was covered in dust and fluff,Fans were covered in it ,and air vents blocked,Never been opened in 4 years,[will be checking mine out shortly]Maybe a good clean out might help, It was to late for my sons ,had to re-format,

birdface 11:31 06 Dec 06

Sorry Bazza,It would not take my sons boot up floppy,So had to go into the Bios and change it to dvd,And run it that way,Hope you have more success than us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced