Has the forum performance improved for you?

Forum Editor 19:11 01 Sep 05

I hope that by now most of you will have noticed a distinct improvement in the way the forum is behaving. Pages should be loading rapidly, and the timeout errors that we were all experiencing when trying to post to the threads should be noticeable by their absence.

I'm not saying the war is won, but we have certainly made progress. Next week, if things appear to have settled down, we'll reinstate the 'My postings' facility, and watch the results. We think that all will be well, but we're going to make sure we can walk before we try to run. This forum takes a real hammering in terms of traffic - half a million threads in the archive takes some handling when the site is busy, and at peak times the software is having to cope with hundreds of page requests a minute. When you remember that each one of those pages is created dynamically by the software and the databases 'on the fly' and served to each forum user separately you'll have some idea of why there can be problems.

For the long term we're now looking at making some fairly major changes to your favourite forum - many of which will give us all a much better experience - so please hang on in there, it will be worth it in the end.

Thanks a million for being so patient over the past couple of weeks or so - we appreciate your loyalty. I've posted the same thread in Speakers Corner.

Lionheart ? 19:16 01 Sep 05

Thanks FE, whizzing along here, thanks to all the background staff. Well done.

Magik ®© 19:16 01 Sep 05

nice one China

VoG II 19:17 01 Sep 05

Yes FE all is running sweetly again, thank you.

I haven't had any timeout errors for the last day or so.

Incidentally, prior to the recent 'fix', disabling My Postings didn't seem to make any difference to the speed or frequency of timeouts.

octal 19:17 01 Sep 05

Yes it has improved a lot, thank you. No CF Database errors since about Wednesday this week.

BurrWalnut 19:20 01 Sep 05

Now you mention it, it is better. I don't think I've had a query error all afternoon.

Well done, chaps.

rawprawn 19:24 01 Sep 05

Yes a definate improvement thank you.I was getting worried.

Pesala 19:27 01 Sep 05

As far as I can tell.

PC Bilbo 19:33 01 Sep 05

Timed out this evening after logging in and attemting to open forum page.

Hopefully this is a glitch my end!

john-232317 19:34 01 Sep 05

Nice one FE, much better ;-)

jack 19:37 01 Sep 05

Well done those guys
How many cans of WD40 did take or is it Guiness?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…