Has the dog killed my laptop?

al's left peg 21:10 15 Apr 09

Hi guys,
I have a Compaq C300 EA laptop, which I have had for a couple of years. it has over the last few months it has had problem with the CD/DVD drive not working. I was looking into stripping it out and renewing the drive but I came home last week to find the AC adaptor had been chewed up badly by the dog.
The dog had also chewed the wife's cable for her Acer laptop and managed to get a universal one from Maplin which works on hers fine. I checked the voltage and lowered it to the 18v mark for mine (mine works at 18.5)
The charging sign came back on the toolbar at the bottom right hand of the screen and the laptop was working fine for at least 3 hours. I had to go out and tried switching it back on later that evening. Now all it does is the power light that shows it's connected to AC flashes very dimly and when I press the power button sometimes the fan will turn and then stops. The charging light flashes dimly along with the hard drive light. I have a feeling it has burnt out something on the M/board I just want to know what the experts on here think.
Any advice much appreciatted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 15 Apr 09

If set at 18v and works at 18.5 i doubt if anything has burnt out.

Disconnect the battery and try on mains only.

karmgord 21:20 15 Apr 09

Was there a polarity switch as well as voltage,if it was charged at 18v but the wrong polarity,then it could kill it.

al's left peg 21:27 15 Apr 09

Thanks for that Fruit Bat, have repaired the original power cord with a new piece of cable and had it on a multi meter and it is working fine.
I have now removed the battery, RAM, hard drive and replaced them and it still does the same thing. I have also had the multi meter onto the M/board where the power cord connects on after going through the AC plug, and the voltage on there works fine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:30 15 Apr 09

Tried resetting BIOS by removing CMOS battery?

al's left peg 21:38 15 Apr 09

No Not tried that yet Fruit Bat. Will that wipe the BIOS out though? I have never removed a CMOS battery before!

karmgord, there was no polarity switch as such but the diagram on the both the laptops batteries are the same and I am using the wife's Acer to write this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 15 Apr 09

Will not wipe BIOS just set it back to default settings if you remove battery for long enough 10 minutes should do it.

al's left peg 21:52 15 Apr 09

Ok Fruit Bat, will give it a go. Would just like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time in giving your advice on this.
I will report back and let you know how I get on.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:08 15 Apr 09

Personally I would have the mutt put down.

G

al's left peg 22:22 15 Apr 09

I suggested that to the missus (it's her dog) she just raised her eyes at me, G.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:34 15 Apr 09

Next time the dog chews a cable it may be:-

Has the laptop killed my dog?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac