has built in modem died

Kingfisher 15:02 28 May 08

Hello can anybody help with this one. My friend has a laptop with xp pro sp2 and a 56k built in dial up modem, she now cannot connect to the internet gets error code for no dial tone, have tried connecting modem direct to main socket still same "no dial tone". all phones work in sockets so wiring ok. have checked device manager and no faults showing for modem etc, cant reinstall modem software, no disk, cant run sfc no disk, but is asking for disk,system restore was turned off, so tried last known good configuration, still no dial tone, also found windows firewall was turned off and she is using AVG antivirus free, its a pentuim 4 pc 2.88ghz 2 gig ram,any help would be appreciated, many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:20 28 May 08

renew cable from PC to socket (try one from a working phone)

Ditch999 15:27 28 May 08

BT answer 1571 can also cause this if there is a message left. The dialing tone is broken, like an engaged tone, and the modem does not recognise it.

Kingfisher 15:28 28 May 08

Have tried that still the same, but thanks anyway

chub_tor 16:27 28 May 08

After the last round of thunderstorms I had exactly the same "no dial tone" problem yet with Device Manager saying that the modem was working. Sad to say it was the modem as replacing it (this was a desktop) fixed the problem. Was your friend's laptop left connected to the phone line during a thunderstorm by any channce?

Kingfisher 16:28 28 May 08

Will contact her and see if that is the problem, will post back, many thanks

Kingfisher 17:00 28 May 08

a good question I think it was, will find out and post back

Kingfisher 18:21 28 May 08

she has had 1571 for years and not been a problem, and no problems with thunderstorm so i looks like the moden has died, will try sfc and reinstall of modem software if I can get the disks, thanks for you advice, will tick as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…