Has anyone run this on xp

nobbyhigo 20:43 19 Feb 05

hi
a mate would like to install xp pro/home has anyone had success,on this size PC i know about the minimum microsoft requirements , helproom views would be appreciated
300mhz intel pen 11,32k memory cache,512 secondry,320 meg of memory,4 gig h/d he isnt in to graphcs just simple gaming, a bit of mp3 storage and internet, reason,stability he gets a bit of hanging and would be able to configure add ons better .On 98se at the moment
regards nobby

VoG II 20:46 19 Feb 05

Well it will run, if a little slowly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 19 Feb 05

and use up half his harddrive and all his memory.

THE TERMINATOR 20:58 19 Feb 05

Windows XP minimum requirements

The types of PC hardware on the UNCG campus are extremely diverse. UNCG IT has developed following minimum requirements to define the minimum specifications of a machine capable of running the Windows XP operating system. The goal of these requirements are ensure a reliable standard of performance and serviceability for the UNCG client community. While a machine may actually be able to have the Windows XP operating system installed and run with specifications that are below the ones listed here, UNCG IT will not install or support these systems. Below are the recommended minimum machine specifications.

Strongly recommended*:

* Intel Pentium III processor
* 128 MB of RAM
* 6 GB of hard drive storage space
hope this helps,like VoG™ says it will run a little slow....TT

VoG II 21:02 19 Feb 05

I have run it on a 700 MHz processor and 128 MB RAM - fine but slowish.

I think that it is more demanding of RAM than CPU speed but I may be wrong.

spikeychris has got it to work with 56 MB RAM (!!!)

Totally-braindead 21:05 19 Feb 05

Agree with others, it'll run but it'll use a lot of the hard drive and as for games I don't know, because XP will be using a lot of the system resources there will be less left for the games and if he plays any old DOS games they probably won't work, even some of the 95 games won't run on XP even in compatability mode. He/she could try it but to be honest they'd be better of buying a cheap newer PC.

hugh-265156 21:22 19 Feb 05

should be fine for basic internet and office tasks is my guess.

i just set up XP home on a very old P3 450mhz 128MB memory, 6GB HDD last night for a freinds sister and it runs surprisingly well with bt broadband and office XP etc. i didnt think it would run it at all.

CurlyWhirly 23:33 19 Feb 05

spikeychris has got it to work with 56 MB RAM (!!!)

Crikey, he must have turned off most of XP's services to get it to run in this small amount of memory.

AubreyS 23:39 19 Feb 05

I installed it on a friends P2 300 and he is very happy with it. Yes it is a tad on the slow side but it runs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…