Has anyone got a 'Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo P' PC?

Chris Webster 22:50 17 Dec 06

Hi,

Has anyone got a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo P pc, if so did yours come with a modem installed? I set up the above computer today for a friend, everything is ok apart from one small problem.

I cannot find any trace of a modem being installed on the computer. I made a manual dial up connection for him but it says there's no modem. There's nothing showing in the Device Manager either. On the back of the tower there's only one phone socket type connection and that marked 'Lan'

I looked on the spec sheet on the F-S website and according to that one is installed.

Cheers, Chris.

woodchip 23:13 17 Dec 06

Then there is no modem Installed. ether get a External serial modem or a PCI. I would suggest a Externall if it's on Dial-Up. Look for a Hardware modem not software one

Chris Webster 23:25 17 Dec 06

I had a feeling there wasn't one installed.

He bought the computer new from pcworld last week on the understanding that it came with a modem as the shop spec sheet said nothing about it NOT having one in it. He's going back to the shop in the morning to complain. I'll let you know the result.

Thanks, Chris.

Totally-braindead 00:00 18 Dec 06

Looking at this click here it certainly mentions a modem. Strange that. I couldn't find it listed on the PC World website. Perhaps they got a slightly different spec.

Chris Webster 13:52 18 Dec 06

My friend has been back to pcworld this morning. His computer doesn't infact come with a modem installed, they presume everyone is on broadband.

They gave him a modem to fit himself free of charge, no questions asked. When he asked about invalidating the warranty because he's got to open the case to fit it they told him it was still ok and wrote it on his reciept too.

I think shops as big as pcworld should say if the systems they are selling come with a modem installed or not. It makes me wonder how many other people have had the same problem.

Thanks, Chris.

Totally-braindead 14:52 18 Dec 06

PC World being a big retailer may well have had a slightly different spec to the normal computer supplied and that may have caused the confusion. That aside you have to give them credit for suppling the modem free of charge. They made a mistake but sorted it quickly, that is what all retailers should do.
Glad its sorted.

Chris Webster 15:17 18 Dec 06

Very true, credit where credit's due. There was no fuss, they just gave him a modem.

Cheers, Chris.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…