Hardware v Software modem

talia 22:04 10 Aug 04

Hi!

excuse my ignorance but can anyone tell me the difference between an internal hardware moden to a software version?

AND

Which one is the better?

Night Ryder 22:11 10 Aug 04

What you mean is an internal or external modem.
The internal modem is plugged into one of the slots on the motherboard of your PS. The external modem is attached to one of the serial ports on the back of the PC. There is little difference in terms of performance. I personaly prefer the external one as you can see by the lights on the front what it is doing.

johnsims 22:12 10 Aug 04

A hardware modem has a chip in it that does virtually all the work. A software modem uses the CPU.
Hardware modem is better because it ties up less of your CPU cycles.
Even better than an internal modem is an external job.

woodchip 22:13 10 Aug 04

Hardware is better as it does not depend on windows or the CPU

johnsims 22:15 10 Aug 04

with respect, I think talia is talking about the difference between an internal PCI modem with all the workings on the card and one which is software and CPU based and uses a communications riser slot on the motherboard (or indeed is a pci based modem which relies on software and the CPU)

talia 22:26 10 Aug 04

johnsims is correct!

And you have all answered my question most fully.

The reason for asking was down to the fact that my local Maplin Electronics is selling an internal hardware modem for £6.50 but with no drivers and whne I challenged them on this they stated, as if I was daft 'Well it is an hardware modem that windows will install' but that is not the case is it!!!

johnsims 22:31 10 Aug 04

It depends. Windows XP has a huge database of driversfor all sorts of hardware and may well have drivers for the modem Maplins are selling. For £6.50 I would be inclined to buy it and state that you will want a refund if the drivers are not within Windows XP. This modem may also use generic Hayes drivers.

woodchip 22:51 10 Aug 04

no you still need drivers and these should be with the card. Try this for size click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…