Hardware Profile

mick 47 00:02 01 Jun 03

Dear Colleagues
I have posted this before, and have had one response which I am grateful for, but this did not solve my problem. I am running a system based on a MS-6368(v5.x) motherboard - a P111 (1.2GHZ) CPU, and a 60 gigabyte Seagate HDD. My OS is Windows XP Home.
On checking my hardware profile, it tells me that my No 1 profile is a laptop docking station - my setup is a desktop pc - will this hardware profile effect the performance of my system, and if it will, how do I alter the hardware profile in order to maximise overall performance.

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

Mick Cowan

y_not 05:07 01 Jun 03

Not certain of anything with XP (use win2k which seems to be the same without bells & whistles).

Just tried a search of the help files in 2000 for "hardware profile" and it brings up an overview, removing/adding/copying profiles etc. etc.

win2k also mentions the "docking station" option - if that means anything.

As to the performance issue - sorry, I don't know of the effects (if any) on performance.

powerless 05:21 01 Jun 03

Well Windows XP pro i have heard is meant to be better for battery saving on laptops.

I doubt the setting for laptop or desktop would differ in performance.

To get to the hardware profiles > Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Hardware Profiles.

Now i have "Profile 1 (current)". If i click on Properties. The tick is NOT in the box next to "This is a portble computer". The options for docking etc are greyed out.

I'm guessing you have this box ticked.

mick 47 21:11 01 Jun 03

Thank you to those who have responded to my question. As my system seems to be operating OK, I will not waste any more time with this question, and will mark it as resolved. Many thanks to those who have had the courtesy to reply.

Regards to all members of the site.

Mick Cowan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…