Hardware problem?

Tj_El 16:00 11 May 04

Hi folks!

Have an old 6 yr old PC (Win98SE, 2 x 1GB HDD, 98MB RAM) which I have set up for the children to use.

Trouble is when they connect to the Net, they are able to move through only a few pages before the entire system freezes with a BSOD with the message "Error writing to drive C. Press any key to continue". Pressing any key does nothing to bring life to the system so we have to use the power button to re-start.

I have run the System File Checker (sfc) which reported nothing.

Last night, I decided to defrag the HDD. It told me to run ScanDisk which I did and the PC froze 80% thru the scan. This happened 3 times before a full scan was finally achieved. The scan result was there were no bad sectors etc i.e. drive is OK.. but I can't help wondering if the drives are the cause of the problems.

I am thinking of running the Win 98 setup again but wanted to see if this triggered an alert in someone who could shed some light.

Waiting for your expert input/opinions.

Thanks people :-))

Tj_El

SANTOS7 16:08 11 May 04

click here this should help but i'm not sure that the amount of memory you have does not compound the problem by the time you have everything up and running your PC will be trying to work on fresh air

Tj_El 16:18 11 May 04

Thanks for the response SANTOS7.

The interesting thing is that I used this PC myself for about 3-4 yrs before building a new one. It has nothing in it now that it did not have before save for a 4x USB PCI Card... hmmm I wonder if...

SANTOS7 16:21 11 May 04

let me know if you take the "wonder if " out and it resolves your problem, good luck

Tj_El 16:59 11 May 04

oh bother, still the same.

"Unable to write to disk in drive C".

Have had a look at the Microsoft KB but the item it flagged related to Ethernet cards...

Tj_El 16:59 11 May 04

oh bother, still the same.

"Unable to write to disk in drive C".

Have had a look at the Microsoft KB but the item it flagged related to Ethernet cards...

Tj_El 17:35 11 May 04

Currently running scandisk again after the last crash... it seems as though this needs to be done or else the crashes happen more frequently.

I wonder if it's the size of the HDD's... but then again 98SE should run quite happily on a HDD that size... shouldn't it?

SANTOS7 18:33 11 May 04

there is a sugestion that there is not enough space on the drive or that the drive your O/S is on is about to meet its maker click here

Tj_El 18:56 11 May 04

hmmm...so I might just need to get hold of a newer larger HDD to replace the current one which is probably on it's last legs.

SANTOS7 19:13 11 May 04

if you have 2 HDDs a fair test before you spend money would be to format the other drive and fit the O/S on there and see if you have the same problem

Eastender 21:06 11 May 04

Are you running IE6? have you tried a repair?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…