Hardware or Software modem, which is best.?

Whaty 09:50 18 Nov 04

Good morning, I will be buying and installing a modem this weekend for a friend, the local computer shop has both hardware and software modems for a similar price but which is best.?

If it make any difference, the machine spec is: P2 400, 128Mb, 6Gb Hard Drive, Win 98.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks, Terry

Bandy 09:56 18 Nov 04

I've used both on many machines but have found the hardware versions to be more reliable, and to use fewer resources so I would go for hardware every time.

Whaty 10:01 18 Nov 04

Thanks for that Bandy.

If I go for the hardware version, is there anything I need to be aware of when installing it.?

Danoh 10:01 18 Nov 04

I've found external hardware modems to feel subjectively faster in use as well.

LastChip 10:04 18 Nov 04

It will also offer more options, should your friend wish to experiment in the future, with alternative operating systems.

Stuartli 10:51 18 Nov 04

For basic surfing, a "soft" £10 modem is sufficient - however, you can't beat a quality hardware model.

My six-year-old Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro has served me well through Windows 98, 98SE and XP Pro with regular driver updating.

Whaty 10:52 18 Nov 04

It'll be the hardware version then... Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…