Hardware or Software?

Aaron-188486 07:23 25 Apr 10

I have an acer desktop L100. Recently I have noticed the power LED has started blinking. After an hour or so the PC locks up completely, and i have to manually turn the computer off. I gave it to a local PC techie and he advised the PCwas overclocked, so he reduced the CPU temperature and cleaned the computer and declared it was fixed! But sure enough two days later the PC started doing it again and the power LED button is still blinking. The main opinion online is some hardware is dying. Any ideas anyone?

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 2 GHz
Chipset NVIDIA nForce 430
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7
HDD Size 160 GB
Optical Drive Type DVD-ROM • DVD Burner • CD-ROM • CD Burner
Processor Type AMD Athlon 64 X2
Processor Speed 2 GHz
Processor Manufacturer AMD
Motherboard Bus Speed 2000 MHz
RAM Technology DDR SDRAM
Installed RAM 2 GB
Number of Memory Slots 2 x DIMMs
Supported RAM Speeds 533 MHz • 667 MHz
Installed Cache Memory 1 MB
Hard Drive Capacity 160 GB
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA II
Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce 6150

howard64 09:03 25 Apr 10

if it was cleaned properly this should have eliminated an overheating problem unless the techie did not clean it or check that oine of the fans was not operating at the correct speed. The next simplest thing to do is to change the power supply as this is a quick relatively inexpensive operation. You could easily do this yourself. Note the rating of the psu and as long as the one you get is equal or has a larger rating that will do the job. Next follow each cable from the psu to the motherboard and note the number of connections. Also note the power connectors to the optical and hard drives. These could be either the older white 4 pin almost rectangular plug with slightly rounded corners on 1 long side or the newer sata connections which are very much smaller with a thin slot with a right angled tiny slot at the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…