Hardware needed for wireless network

HaydenN 11:03 26 Sep 06

Hi All

Firstly I hope I have posted this in the right place, if not please accept my apologies.

I am about to embark on the purchase of a new desktop and relevant accessories in order to create a wireless network at home. I’m also changing my ISP (currently AOL).

The problem I’ve got is

a) My networking knowledge is less than zero and the thought of all this fills me with dread.
b) I am now so overwhelmed with technical jargon etc. that I am now extremely confused as to what I actually need to purchase.

Basically, I would like to have my new desktop in my office upstairs and this will be connected to a wireless router (somehow?)

I would then like to connect my old desktop to this network so that my kids can have a pc to do their school projects with etc. (what kit will help me do this? – currently this pc does not have any network cards it does have a modem and I have been connecting to the internet using a BT Voyager 100 ADSL router)

I then need to connect my laptop from anywhere in the house to this little network when I get home to get my emails etc. (My laptop has wireless capability already and an Ethernet cable port)

I also then need to choose the correct kit from the potential ISP so I don’t duplicate things.

I don’t know what kit to buy in order to achieve all of this so if someone could help me sort through all this, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Hayden

ade.h 15:02 26 Sep 06

"I also then need to choose the correct kit from the potential ISP so I don’t duplicate things"

Much better to choose it yourself. I have yet to see an ISP which offers 3Com or Linksys routers.....

click here Take the time to read that.

HaydenN 09:25 27 Sep 06

ade.h, thanks very much for this.

Hayden

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…