Hardware monitor found an error

nedrick 21:27 06 Dec 06

Hi, I'm using Windows XP, had my computer for 3-4 years and now I get the following error message on startup:

Hardware monitor found an error.
F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup

If I continue, the computer starts to load then reboots in a loop to the same error message.

I searched for solutions online and did some basic things such as clearing out dust, ensuring cables are connected and making sure the fan is spinning ok. Interestingly, the computer loads fine when in safe mode.

In the BIOS, I went through each of the voltages, VCORE, +3.3V, +5V, +12V, +5VSB, +3VSB and disabled monitoring of each in turn, when I disabled +12V I did not get an error although the problem remains leading me to think that the problem lies here.

Any ideas for a solution to my problem. I think it may need a new Power Supply Unit but I would rather hear some other ideas first.

Thanks all in advance.

woodchip 21:32 06 Dec 06

I searched for solutions online! how did you do that if it loops? Can you get into safe mode? and if you can and its XP try Going back With System Restore

nedrick 21:36 06 Dec 06

I have two PCs in my household, I will try a system restore now, thank you.

nedrick 22:12 06 Dec 06

system restore makes no difference to the problem

woodchip 22:26 06 Dec 06

Did you go far enough back?

If you have two sticks of memory, Try with only one in. I don't think it would go to a Loop if it was PSU. But they can create some weird problems. So don’t discount it

citadel 22:34 06 Dec 06

I would get a new psu. you have done the sherlock holmes thing.

nedrick 19:25 08 Dec 06

Tried with a new PSU and although I no longer get the error mentioned above, it still loops after the Windows XP loading screen - The PC will operate in safe mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 08 Dec 06

corrupt devie driver if works in safe mode but not in normal mode.

Unistall and reinstall your device drivers starting with graphics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…