Hardware identities

redeyenewby 11:26 13 Sep 12

I have just installed a new OS and I find my Hardware alphabetic identities have changed. How can I reset the identities?

KRONOS the First 12:52 13 Sep 12

Can you explain a little more as I am confused?

Are you talking about hard-drives/optical drives or what?

redeyenewby 01:42 14 Sep 12

Chronus, I'm referring to all drives:- HDD, CDROM and additionally, USB slots.

KRONOS the First 09:23 14 Sep 12

As we are having to guess which OS you have changed to I am going to go with Windows 7 though why you feel that it is necessary to change drive letter assignments escapes me and I would be very interested in learning your reason.

Here are some instructions.

redeyenewby 09:54 14 Sep 12

Hi, Chronus, Thank you for the advice. The reason I wanted to correct - nit just chane - the drive letters is because, having installed XP SP3 the drive letters have a slight error (I have 2 drive L's and My Computer is showing drive letters which conflict with my Roxio.} I am hoping that carruing out your advice will rectify this anomaly. Thanks again.

KRONOS the First 10:35 14 Sep 12

So you did not install a new OS but just installed SP3 for XP and for some reason the service pack has altered the drive letter assignment. See how all is revealed when one has a little bit of info?

Much the same as Win 7 instructions.

john bunyan 16:13 14 Sep 12

Have a look at this thread. If you download the recommended Partition Manager, it makes it easy to change drive or partition letters.

Easeus

This is a limited time offer BTW

redeyenewby 12:51 19 Sep 12

Chronus and John Bunyan, Thank you for your advice. The drive letters have corrected, just changed but no duplication. I can live with that! I;m having one or two problems at the moment. My Device manager tells me I have a problem with SM Controller. I have tried to download drivers but it won;t do it. Windows(when I shut down and left it) came up with a blue screen and a loaf of stuff saying that Windows had to shut down because of a problem with my PC. I had to hit the PC power off button because I couldn't do anything with the screen. I know I should really start a new thread for this - however!?

KRONOS the First 13:45 19 Sep 12

Is this what you are seeing if you go to device manager?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Why upgrade to Windows 10? Is Windows 10 good? The pros and cons of!…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Illustrator Rachel Lillie discusses how she draws, and the beauty of quietness

macOS Sierra vs Windows 10 comparison: Apple and Microsoft's latest OS releases go head to head |…