Hardware identities

redeyenewby 11:26 AM 13 Sep 12

I have just installed a new OS and I find my Hardware alphabetic identities have changed. How can I reset the identities?

KRONOS the First 12:52 PM 13 Sep 12

Can you explain a little more as I am confused?

Are you talking about hard-drives/optical drives or what?

redeyenewby 01:42 AM 14 Sep 12

Chronus, I'm referring to all drives:- HDD, CDROM and additionally, USB slots.

KRONOS the First 09:23 AM 14 Sep 12

As we are having to guess which OS you have changed to I am going to go with Windows 7 though why you feel that it is necessary to change drive letter assignments escapes me and I would be very interested in learning your reason.

Here are some instructions.

redeyenewby 09:54 AM 14 Sep 12

Hi, Chronus, Thank you for the advice. The reason I wanted to correct - nit just chane - the drive letters is because, having installed XP SP3 the drive letters have a slight error (I have 2 drive L's and My Computer is showing drive letters which conflict with my Roxio.} I am hoping that carruing out your advice will rectify this anomaly. Thanks again.

KRONOS the First 10:35 AM 14 Sep 12

So you did not install a new OS but just installed SP3 for XP and for some reason the service pack has altered the drive letter assignment. See how all is revealed when one has a little bit of info?

Much the same as Win 7 instructions.

john bunyan 16:13 PM 14 Sep 12

Have a look at this thread. If you download the recommended Partition Manager, it makes it easy to change drive or partition letters.

This is a limited time offer BTW

redeyenewby 12:51 PM 19 Sep 12

Chronus and John Bunyan, Thank you for your advice. The drive letters have corrected, just changed but no duplication. I can live with that! I;m having one or two problems at the moment. My Device manager tells me I have a problem with SM Controller. I have tried to download drivers but it won;t do it. Windows(when I shut down and left it) came up with a blue screen and a loaf of stuff saying that Windows had to shut down because of a problem with my PC. I had to hit the PC power off button because I couldn't do anything with the screen. I know I should really start a new thread for this - however!?

KRONOS the First 13:45 PM 19 Sep 12

Is this what you are seeing if you go to device manager?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

HDR video: Everything you need to know

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know