hardware drivers - downloads

some1else 16:12 08 Mar 08

I'm looking to update drivers for my computer but, having bought it second-hand and being a complete beginner, I don't know every piece of hardware that's in it. Is there somewhere on the net where I can scan my computer to find out what hardware I have? Preferably one that doesn't ask me for a subscription since, I may be able to find the drivers myself... I think???

Totally-braindead 16:16 08 Mar 08

Try SIW or Belarc that should tell you what motherboard you have and what graphics card you have then just goto the manufacturers website and get them.
Will also supply all sorts of other useful info

SIW click here

Belarc click here

johndrew 16:21 08 Mar 08

Try this click here

But be careful not to update a lot at once and it is worth creating a `Restore` point before you do each update; especially drivers.

If you are considering BIOS updates or firmware updates for drives be very careful as if the wrong updates are installed or in the wrong order you can have problems.

Many people will say (and I agree with them), "If it aint broke, don`t fix it."

Downloading and installing program updates is fairly safe.

Totally-braindead 18:32 08 Mar 08

As johndrew says do not update the BIOS in particular unless you have to.
Theres no advantage in updating the BIOS unless its to do something like add support for a new processor and if you get it wrong the PC will no longer run.

some1else 20:02 08 Mar 08

Cheers lads; I'm not getting any problems with my computer so I'll definitely be taking the advice of "if it ain't broke...". Just looking to update my soundcard. I use my computer for making music mainly; running from a soundmax driver alone. The software I got with the computer doesn't install properly. Luckily, I've managed to get a driver, from the disc, to operate my soundcard.
I'm, without a doubt, a complete beginner when it comes to the technical side of all this. Again, thanks for your help.

ICF 08:44 09 Mar 08

This does not update your drivers unless you pay for it but it will scan your system and tell you if you need to update your drivers.Then go and get them yourself

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant