Hardware for Analogue to Digital Conversion

Nottingham 01:04 07 Jan 05

I have many analogue VHSC and SVHSC tapes which I would like to download to my PC and edit before burning to a DVD disk via Pinnacle Studio 9 editing software. I had set my mind on buying Pinnacles Movie Box DV adapter (firewire, as I only have USB a 1.1). However, I am now not sure, as some reviews don't seem to be too sympathetic to Pinnacle's Movie Box adapter and its competitors (alternatives)fail to rate at all. Is there anyone able to suggest a suitable external Firewire interface device to which I can connect my old Panasonic camcorder?

Regards

Nottingham

gobi 09:22 07 Jan 05

Is there any reason of not using an internal firewire capture card? It cost less than a fiver in Ebuyer.

€dstowe 10:16 07 Jan 05

Note that your require a quite fast computer with plenty of RAM and a lot of hard disc space to be able to process videos - especially using Pinnacle software.

USB1.1 is not nearly fast enough to cope but, in the same way that you can get a firewire adapter card, you can get USB2 cards. I believe that you can even get cards with both firewire and USB2 on the same card.

Processing from analogue to DVD is not a light undertaking and you can waste a lot of money getting fitted up in a way that you would wish. Think carefully before parting with your money.

A device I have had some success with recently is the NorthQ converter click here this comes with Win DVD Creator 2 (which I feel is better and less resource hungry and quicker than Pinnacle Studio 9. You do need USB2 to be able to use it but Scan provide suitable cards as well click here

jbaker65 10:22 07 Jan 05

I use an AverMedia DVD gold PCI card (about £40 on line) which comes complete with NeoDVD software. I also use uLead videostudio 7 (version 8 is not compatible with Win98se) I have 256meg ram, an Athlon xp+ 1.7 and 40gig hard drive and have had no problems so far.

Nottingham 14:14 07 Jan 05

gobi,Cdstowe,jbaker65,

Many thanks for your help. Your comments have put me on a different line of thought.

Thanks again,

Nottingham

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…