Hardrive problem

damib 11:40 10 Nov 03

I have a second hard drive which is installed as the slave.
The drive is regognised but is only picked up as having 4.5gig when it is actually 40gig any ideas anyone?

thnx damien

Smiler 11:46 10 Nov 03

What op system? what hard drive? is it new? have you formatted it?

Smiler 11:47 10 Nov 03

What op system? what hard drive? is it new? have you formatted it? is it partitioned?

damib 12:04 10 Nov 03

op system is xp hardrive is ibm yes i have formatted it

xania 13:21 10 Nov 03

When you say its recognised but only as 4.5 gig, I assume you are referring to the initial screen with the BIOS report. Can you please go into your BIOS setup and make sure that your slave is set to AUTO - you may find that you have it wrongly set. Assuming that this is all correct, I then suggest you take a look at the hard disk using FDISK (yes - I do know that partition managers are more sophisticated, but lets look at basics) and check to see what it reports as the size disk and its partitions.

damib 13:46 10 Nov 03

bios settinngs seem ok and the reported size of drive is correct here. it is when i view the properties of the drive in explorer it reports only 4.5 gig. as far as i know it has not been partitioned

damib 14:01 10 Nov 03

mnaged to work it out i was actaully looking at a partition of the main hardrive & not the new drive.it had not been set up correctly in the system manager. thanks for you help damien

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…