Hardrive IDE V SATA

Terry Brown 14:42 11 Mar 11

I have just re-built my computer (or as my wife calls it 'The Toy')

I have 2 IDE drives and I have bought a new SATA drive.

I would prefer to boot from the SATA drive, but the system (XP)see's the IDE drive first.I have tried changing the SATA motherboard data sockets (4 on board) and also gone into the bios and set the BIOS to see the SATA drive first, however as soon as I shut down and re-start, it defaults to the IDe drive.

If I run it without the IDE drives connected, no problem.

I know that the Windows 7 system see's sata first, is there any way to do the same in XP PRO

Thanks-- Terry

chub_tor 14:58 11 Mar 11

Are both the IDE drives set to Slave via their jumpers?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:06 11 Mar 11

"but the system (XP)see's the IDE drive first."

You need the BIOS to see the SATA drive first and an operating system on the SATA drive "to be seen".
If you only have XP on the IDE then the BIOS will cycle through the drives until it finds an operating system to boot from.

If you set the IDE drive to slave it will not make any difference.

T0SH 16:37 11 Mar 11

Enter bios setup and set the IDE drive to "Not Detected" or whatever is your bios equivalent to this

Doing this will allow booting from your sata drive and will still allow IDE access from within windows

Cheers HC

User-312386 19:25 11 Mar 11

Go back into the bios and look for first boot device, set the sata drive as first boot, save settings and exit bios

Terry Brown 11:54 13 Mar 11

Thanks all

The problem persisted , so I done the logical thing. I put the operating system on the IDE drive and used SATA for document & storage.

I always put my documents on a different drive to the Operating system drive, so If I need to format my system to clear a bad infection or fault, I do not lose my working data.

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…