Hardrive backup program

hiwatt 11:56 16 Jan 08

Hi folks,Ive seen people speaking about backup programs such as true image.Is there a free program that will back up my hardrive incase of system failure?My computer was down for a week and I realised that if my hardive goes that's it.I've got some of my files backed up on dvd but I'll definetely need to invest in such a program.Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks

RobCharles1981 12:05 16 Jan 08

I believe there is some free cloning software out there on the net perhaps others will know, but I highly recomend Acronis True Image its one of the best that I have used its also easy to use and it becomes the highly rated software that we use on this forum.

seagate and maxtor do free versions (although not fully functional) versions of true image.
If either your internal or external drive are that brand,the software will do a full image of your hard drive that you can then restore from.
seagate
click here
maxtor
click here

hiwatt 12:35 16 Jan 08

Thanks folks.Raven the drive on my computer is a maxtor.What would I do?Download it and save it to dvd?I've always wondered how these will work if you can't get into your computer in the first place?Thanks.

download it your hard drive,and install software.

From within the software create a bootable media cd.
In the event of hard drive failure/or to restore an image, you use the cd to boot your system so as to access the image on your external drive.

step one
create image of internal hard drive to external hard drive.
step 2
create bootable media cd

In the event of hard drive failure
fit the replacement hard drive,insert bootable media cd and boot pc.
The pc boots to the Maxtor software interface where you select restore image,it then gives you the option to select the location where your image is stored ie external drive,then follow the on screen prompts.
Your pc would be restored to the date that the image was done.
ps
Ive used the seagate version but im presuming the maxtor software operates in the same way.

pj123 14:25 16 Jan 08

I use Maxblast 5 and clone my C: drive to another (same size) hard drive. Then take it out of the PC and store it. If you ever need to use it, all you have to do is take out the existing C: drive and put the cloned drive in and reboot. I actually use 3 other hard drives and clone them about every 3 months. One I keep here and the other 2 are kept by friends at their house.

Maxblast 5 is free from: click here

I also use xxclone (also free) which does exactly the same thing but doesn't have to be a maxtor or seagate hard drive.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple