Hardrive adaptor?

Hi,

I've got a 6Gb 2.5" laptop drive sitting on my desk doing nothing at the moment and I just wondered, is there any way to adapt it to operate as a USB drive? If there is, does anyone know how much current the USB socket can supply?

microswift 16:11 03 Sep 03

If you go here click here and click on peripherals you will find what you are looking for I've been trying to buy the desktop version but can't find any way to do it from that site or any other. The laptop version will run on the power supplied by the usb connection.

Hi,
Many thanks microswift, that appears to be the very thing I've been looking for, although I havn't seen the price or how to place an order yet. When I do I'll post here.

Once again, many thanks for the reply.

Fizziks

Hi,
if you're still there microswift have a look at the link below. Its a housing for a standard size hardrive.

click here

Hope its of some use.

Fizziks

microswift 17:44 03 Sep 03

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it, the product I linked to costs £12 (laptop version) the desktop version is £27.

Hello again,
if you're still there microswift could you tell me where you seen those prices. I've tried several sites now and haven't found one that gives a price.

madPentium 20:41 03 Sep 03

Does the USB handle laptop drives for a long period of time with no problems?
I'm just suprised that it doesnt overload the USB ports especially the older ones. I seem to remember that some USB hubs even overloaded some ports.

When I want to hook up a laptop drive, I use an ide converter cable. It also lets you plug power into it using a standard psu connector. This way the drive can be out of site inside the unit if necessary.

ton 21:04 03 Sep 03

Laptop hard drives are designed to use as little power as possible (to save battery). I run them from USB with no problem.

I bought a couple of 2.5" hard drive cases on Ebay. There are usually lots to choose from.

ton 21:11 03 Sep 03

I should add that a USB2 drive case will be a lot faster than USB1. (if you have USB2 on your PC, that is).

If you have only a USB1 Motherboard you can get a USB2 pci card quite cheaply now and add faster USB ports to your PC.

ton 21:17 03 Sep 03

Of course, if you don't want the drive to be portable, do as MadPentium says, use an eide converter and put it in the PC case. This would work faster even than USB2.

Hello again, sorry for the delay. USB drives are fine, especially as a portable large storage medium or just for a backup device. They're not and never will be as fast as an internal drive, but they're easy to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…