hardrive

garabaldi 20:49 13 Apr 05

hello im a novice when it comes to pc upgrades...my question is "Is it hard to install a new hardrive" a completely new one i mean thanx

woodchip 20:53 13 Apr 05

Do you mean to leave the other in and fit the new as a Slave to the old Master, or replace it

ragingmountain 20:59 13 Apr 05

If as a slave then there should be no problem atall, however if its a newer and faster hard drive than original you may want to consider transfering all your info from your old hard drive onto your new one. Most new HD's come with software to allow you to do this. Although it is advisable to back up key data first and to be sure you have your operating system cd's and reg codes.

However as getting a new HD it is sometimes a good time to get a fresh start with you operating system and do a clean install.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 13 Apr 05

Make sure you have all the drivers for your motherboard graphics card modem etc.

1. Replace a HDD (fitting only)
click here

2. Enter BIOS ( during boot press del or F2)Set first boot device as CD rom 2nd as hard drive

3. Boot with XP CD in drive press any key to boot from CD when message appears

4.wait till XP gets to its three option menu select the first option to install

5. XP will inspect system, and install its XP operating system format the drive choose ntfs

garabaldi 21:22 13 Apr 05

ok so once the os is installed do i then install the driver i have saved mainly the modem and graphics cards etc?

Totally-braindead 22:04 13 Apr 05

The way you do it is 1. format the drive 2. install the operating system 3. install the motherboard drivers 4. install anything else such as graphics card drivers and modem.

garabaldi 16:45 14 Apr 05

i thought formatting was installing the os

PsiFox 16:48 14 Apr 05

Formatting is the term used to set up a hard drive ready to install an operating system.

garabaldi 17:28 14 Apr 05

so how do i get the harddrive ready for a operating installation...........sorry for my novice brain

garabaldi 17:30 14 Apr 05

also a guy told my to install the motherboard drivers first..........which are ?

Diemmess 17:31 14 Apr 05

As a comparison... (shows my primitive mind) Think of a hard disk as a huge storage room.

Formatting divides the space into little pigeon holes, and indexes every one so that they can be found later.

The operating system is the main office situated in a part of the main room, where standing orders are obeyed, and these orders on installation are placed in those pigeonholes and noted by the Office and forwarded to other places.

Partitioning if used, divides a storage room into separate parts before "formatting" each one.

Sorry if all this makes no sense, but have been itching to say it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…