Harddrive Reformatting Problem...

Jimi_L 01:21 08 Feb 06

I got a major problem, I installed Windows XP over 98 on my computer and it was a success I was working at the desktop without a glitch and then I shutdown the computer for the first time…the next day I turned it on and, it didn’t, and still doesn’t, reach the desktop before it says on a blue xp screen:

------------------------------------------

Checking file system on C:
The type of file system is fat32

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency

You may cancel disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue

(below that I get a countdown for if I want to cancel or not)

------------------------------------------

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

1. I left the timer to go down to let it continue the check and then let try to load up windows
2. I press a key (return) to cancel the check and let it try and load up windows
(both of these fail in loading windows and the computer restarts itself and after a couple of restarts it just shuts down.)

I had a go at trying to reboot with a 98 floppy disk just so I could reformat it but I wasn’t sure how to do this from there all I’ve been told is to put “format c: /q” in a command, all I had of the floppy disk was a A command

I tried letting the computer boot up through cd-rom, first I set the hardrive to boot from cd-rom instead of A drive but I think it failed, well it tried to boot the desktop up again and it went back to restarting again.

I’m totally stuck with what to do, all I need to do and want to do is reformat the hardrive clean but I can’t use the desktop so I think I need to use bios?

Please can you help me?

Regards,

James.

007al 02:15 08 Feb 06

You mean BIOS?
In BIOS,set to boot from CD first,then floppy,then hard drive.Insert the disc and boot up.

ventanas 08:48 08 Feb 06

Instructions on reformatting and reinstalling with the XP disc click here

Jimi_L 23:56 08 Feb 06

Sorted! cheers for all the help,

Regards,

James.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced