Harddrive problem

ace121pk 22:23 29 Oct 04

i have an 8GB primary master drive which i use for all my applications, its a fairly old hardrive, recently, its been playing up

it makes a whizzing sound as the platters spin, but also a clattering sound, at boot up sometimes the bios cannot detect a harddrive even my slave, and occasionally an error message comes up sayin that a certain file, (ntkrl) is corrupt od cannot be found,

what is the solutions to all this?

woodchip 22:26 29 Oct 04

Double click My Computer Right click C:\drive tools run Scandisk

ace121pk 22:32 29 Oct 04

i have run disk defrag and tried scan disk, but it said it has to restart. on defrag, at the end of the task it defraged zero (0) files freed up 1% of the harddrive

upon restart i usually get a boot failure message and it prompts me to insert a boot disk, after restarting a couple times it eventually starts up but very very slowly

woodchip 14:02 30 Oct 04

Try running both in Safe Mode, when your comp starts up keep pressing F8 to get the menu for safe mode

Dorsai 14:17 30 Oct 04

The odd noises sound like the disk is in the process of packing up. It's like anything mechanical, strange noises normally are a bad sign.

It could be that it has become badly fragmented, and has some errors on it, causing it to seek for data many times, so the advice to defrag and scan for errors is good advice, but if a mechanical failure within it, they will do no good. i would make sure your backup is up to date (good advice at any time) just in case it is on it's way out.

Rayuk 14:18 30 Oct 04

Sounds as if its on its way out,if you have anything on it you need to save would buy new drive and use manufacturers software to transfer everything over.
Dont run disk defrag
Can you download manufacturers diagnostic and run that.

ace121pk 18:27 30 Oct 04

i have tried everything but it doesnt solve the issue, i keep getting "NTDLR is missing error" on boot up

Mr Mistoffelees 19:32 30 Oct 04

The following are instructions I copied from another site, and have used successfully myself, to replace a missing NTDLR:-

Just do this exactly and all will be well, fine, and dandy:

1. Boot the computer with the WindowsXP CD. When prompted to setup or repair, choose repair. In the recovery console, enter the follwing commands.

a) FIXBOOT - answer yes
b) CD\
c) ATTRIB -H C:\NTLDR
d) ATTRIB -s C:\NTLDR
e) ATTRIB -r C:\NTLDR
f) COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\

BTW, I too think your hdd is very close to death and you should update your back-up and fit a new one.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:35 30 Oct 04

sorry, those instructons did not appear as expected, try this:-

1. Boot the computer with the WindowsXP CD. When prompted to setup or repair, choose repair. In the recovery console, enter the follwing commands.

a) FIXBOOT - answer yes

b) CD

Mr Mistoffelees 19:37 30 Oct 04

a) FIXBOOT - answer yes

b) CD\

Mr Mistoffelees 19:38 30 Oct 04

Really must get more sleep.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…