wormy 11:32 16 May 03

computer stopped reading hard drive i replaced with a drive that worked still did not read yet i could format drive and install operating system on drive but then it said no harddrive installed. Please help i do not understand

martjc 11:46 16 May 03

Try checking that the BIOS knows you've changed the drive - manually enter the drive parameters. Try checking the data lead (grey ribbon cable) is pushed WELL in, both ends. If these fail there is a possibility that your battery may be failing. Will watch this thread with interest

wormy 11:54 16 May 03

have checked bios and put a new cable on the motherboard is asus av7333and has no battery as such

woodchip 11:54 16 May 03

If you can format the drive and put a Operating System on it, then there is nothing wrong in the bios unless the bios is set to read only you would have to check to find out. but if you cannot now see the Drive I would be inclined to suspect ether Ribbon Cable as above or faulty motherboard

xania 12:06 16 May 03

Does the PC recognise that a hard disk is attached at boot-up. If not, there's your problem. Make sure that your BIOS is set to auto so that it will recognise whatever hard dirve you have. If that's correct and the boot-up still fails, you need to check the power cable attached to the hard drive - try a different one if you have it. The do the same with the IDE cable. Either could have developed an intermittent fault.
If you have the same probelm with different connectors, I would suspect the motherboard IDE.
The fact that this has happened with 2 separate drives rules out problems with the drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…