Hard or Soft problem?

BPORTER 15:06 PM 08 Jun 11

Hi XP suddenly didn't see my ATI 4850 drivers on a cold start, reverting to 16 colour 4bit, I re-loaded the ATI drivers (from disk). MacAfee was also damaged (showed on Task Bar but failed to run) but re-installing has resolved this. MacAfee found Spyarcade (removed) and AMB found PUM Disabled Security but this may well be MacAfee turning them off in favour of itself. So now it either boots -

(1) Ok.

(2) Correct resolution but doesn't see my ATI card and my Asus temp and fan monitor program loads but with two displays.

(3) It run 16 colours 4bit again. However, MacAfee continues to load and run ok now on each of the above (3).

In addition to MacAfee (Internet Security) I also use Malwarebytes and Spybot - neither run in resident memory. No new soft/hardware/modifications have been done recently.

I've moved forward since this started a few days ago but now I'm not sure if this is a faulty video card or software fault or an attack that's sneaked in under the radar - help!

birdface 15:14 PM 08 Jun 11

Maybe Graphics card driver needing updated.

Have you had a look in device Manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside anything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 PM 08 Jun 11

System restore, to before the problem started.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED