Hard Faults

Phrixos 19:57 30 Oct 09

My system is producing hundreds of hard faults per second--but as my 2GB of RAM rarely goes over 50% usage, there's not much point in installing more.

There must be something else causing the hard faults.

Any ideas?

johnnyrocker 19:58 30 Oct 09

?

johnny

Ventad 20:01 30 Oct 09

You need to clarify what you are saying.

I am Spartacus 20:04 30 Oct 09

'A hard fault (also known as a page fault) occurs when the page of the referenced address is no longer in physical memory and has been swapped out or is available from a backing file on disk. It is not an error. However, a high number of hard faults may explain the slow response time of an application if it must continually read data back from disk rather than from physical memory.'

click here(WS.10).aspx

woodchip 20:45 30 Oct 09

looks like is swap file is not big enough

woodchip 20:48 30 Oct 09

Check this out, Right Click My Computer\Properties\Advanced\Performance Settings Check how big the Page File is

woodchip 20:49 30 Oct 09

Check how much Free Hard Drive Space you Have on the C:\ Drive

Phrixos 20:58 30 Oct 09

Um, Spartacus has just about said it all. As my RAM was regulated by Windows (I've just changed this), I'm wondering why Windows is having so much difficulty swapping data back and forth. Indeed it is not an error--just an extra (and supposedly unnecessary) job needing to be done--or at least, so often--when the Page File is too small. But as I say, I have just changed it--back to a configuration I used some time ago, where the Page/Swap File is on its own partition (on the first partition on my second disk--at 2-1/2 times my Ram size.

I'll see if this makes much difference.

Phrixos 21:02 30 Oct 09

Oh. I forgot. I've got loads of free space on C: --nearly 7GB. (To keep C: as small and clutter-free as possible I install all my programs onto a dedicated partition.)

Phrixos 21:07 30 Oct 09

More on Spartacus' comments: do I take it that the problem rests in one or more programs regularly and prematurely swapping out data when the data might be better off staying in RAM?

Does that mean it's probably down to programming?

Phrixos 21:16 30 Oct 09

Well, THAT made a big difference! Practically no hard faults now. So much for Windows (Vista) automatically "managing" the Page file.

Problem solved.

Thanks, all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…