hard drives/cd rom/dvd and ide cables

pookie 13:42 18 May 05

Just a quick query really. I have 2 hard drives off one ide cable and a cd rom and dvd drive off the other ide cable. I haven't noticed any issues with this.

However, I've just read that you should keep the 2 hard drives on seperate ide cables as having them on the same ide cable generates extra heat and can severerly hinder read/write access speeds/times. does this make sense? ie should i have 1 hard drive and the cd rom off one ide cable and second hard drive and dvd drive off the other ide cable?

many thanks

leo49 14:11 18 May 05

The set up you have is the norm.The fact that you've had no problems says it all.Shouldn't take as Gospel all you read.

I've got 6 HDDs paired on 3 IDEs and a CDRW and DVD on another and it works fine and stays cool.

DieSse 15:02 18 May 05

The way it is set is the recommended way.

It does not affect speed or heat in any way.

Mixing Optical and Hard drives on a cable is not recommended due to differences in the way their interface operates.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:12 18 May 05

HDD slow down to the CD/ DVD speed if on same cable.

Only reason for having ROM and writer on different cables is to prvent erros if coppiny direct from ROM to writer.

Your present setup is the norm and works best for most uses of HDD / rom / writers

pookie 15:48 18 May 05

cheers guys

SEASHANTY 16:03 18 May 05

See the note on greater heat buildup using 7200rpm drives as against 5400rpm drives.
click here

Probably correct in what it states as I have fitted
two replacement drives - both 7200rpm in place of one original 5400rpm drive. The heat buildup is now excessive. Both drives reach over critical temp around 50 degs C and over in approx 1 hour. Looks as if I will have to remove one of these drives and use an external drive because I cannot get enough cooling fans close to or between the drives. My disk warning utility keeps advising "over critical temp" every couple of mins or so. Heat buildup leads to drive failure.

SEASHANTY 19:41 18 May 05

The free utility Everest Home will tell you the temps of your motherboard, CPU and hard drives. Just click on "Computer" then on "Sensor". It can be downloaded from here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…