Hard DRives whats the differance.?

perpetual motion 14:22 09 Feb 09

Hi everyone, having looked at a variation of hard drives i am familiar with the clear 7000RPM to the 1000RPM as in reading time speed BUT im lost when it comes to the storage cause it seems that you get a MUCH less storage like a 146Gig 10K Rpm drive would cost you £250 whereas a TB of storage would cost just £100..? im lost can anyone please explain...?

perpetual motion 14:23 09 Feb 09

Also to add why are the 10.000 RPM drives SO small..? in comparision to a RAID 0 drive..?

crosstrainer 14:37 09 Feb 09

You also have to consider the difference between Sata and IDE. IDE is pretty old hat these day's. with most new boards supporting the new Sata standards.

If you want fast high capacity drives:

click here

The above are expensive, but very fast.

If you are prepared to take a slight hit on performence (but save a shed load of dosh:

Then maybe 2 500GB of:

click here

Would help. I have 2 Raptor's in this machine, but the performance with the old Samsung 500GB's in was 5.8....WEI only goes to 5.9 at the moment (in Vista 7's different) so I only gained .1 buy spending all that money. Not needed at all really.

crosstrainer 14:37 09 Feb 09

Buy = by :))

PSF 15:22 09 Feb 09

click here
If you have big pockets!!!!

Muergo 16:37 09 Feb 09

I, too, have an interest in the wide range of Hard drives on offer.

I have an external hard drive which is used as stand alone backup and for portable carrying of photos when visiting friends & family.
Instead of a slide show, you can bore them rigid with
old baby/wedding pictures!!

I have a 40 Gb internal drive which is nearly full.
Do I add a second one or replace with a larger?
Spec: WDC WD400BB-75DEA0
Controllers are primary and secondary IDE Channels and Intel(R) 1DB Ultra ATA storage controller.24CB

What does all that mean? can I fit a (say) 500Gb drive to this just by plugging it in.
Muergo, much thanks and a present to best solution.

PSF 16:58 09 Feb 09

You can add a larger drive. You can transfer all the data from one drive to a new one using the software supplied by westerndigital for their hard drives. click here using that program it will walk you through setting up the new drive, copying the data and finaly setting the jumpers if needed. You cannot just copy and paste from one drive to another as there is a hidden boot sector.

Once you have copied your data over you can make the old drive a slave to store extra data on.

click here for an example of information about a typical hard drive.

gazzaho 17:01 09 Feb 09

perpetual motion
The way I look at it is the fast spindle speed/low capacity drives are like a supercar, high speed go everywhere fast with limited passengers, luggage and cost the earth. while the slower spindle speed/higher capacity drives are like family cars, cheap but much more usable on a daily basis.

Muergo
Most motherboards only have 2 IDE channels which means you can attached 4 IDE devices, 2 per channel via ribbon cable, one device at the end of the cable and one in the middle, 1 device has to be set as slave and the other master in order to work properly. That means you can have a maximum of 3 hard drives and an optical drive or 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives. If the 40GB drive is a secondary internal drive, it seems a little small to be your boot device, you can install another 500GB drive inside, assuming you only have one optical DVD type drive installed.

DieSse 17:44 09 Feb 09

10K rpm drives are expensive as they are only made in small quantities and are more difficult to make.

I was not aware that 10K drives are smaller than standard drives. I'm pretty sure they're the same size. If you're talking about them when they're in cases - then RAID case are larger as they need to contain more than one drive.

There is no such thing as a RAID drive. RAID is a configuration scheme for using standard drives (RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives).

But what is it you want to achieve, as I fear the above answer won't help you much.

perpetual motion 17:55 09 Feb 09

DieSse" hi & thanks for the reply, Well my new pc has 1.5TB of storage & when i boot it up the black screen before the OS says something about do i want to configure the Raid 0..??? & ive been looking at upgrading my HD's for the 10.000RPM ones as ive heard they read much quicker which helps the performance of task's, just one thing though ive not found any LARGE storage 10.000RPM drives & i wondered why that was..? as they all seem to be around a strange capacity like 48Gig or 74..?? why not have a 500 Gig one..? i wondered if there's a explanation to this..?
Many thankx PM

DieSse 18:11 09 Feb 09

Google and you'll certainly find 300GB 10K ones.

All about RAID click here

As I said before - clearly higher capacity ones are harder to make, therefore more expensive, therefore less demand.

I expect they'll come in time - but faster drives tend to consume more power and run hotter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac