Hard DRives OEM v Retail

Terry Brown 21:04 21 Jun 06

I need a new hard drive , and looking at Novatech, I notice sopme drives are OEM and some are retail. I know with software OEM it is tied to the motherboard, but Harddrives ?.

Any help in explaining please.

Terry

User-312386 21:12 21 Jun 06

OEM = No Leads, No Manual, Just the bare drive

Retail = Leads and maual etc etc

ade.h 21:14 21 Jun 06

And in the case of WD, OEM = 3yr warranty and retail = just a 1 yr warranty. But that's the exception rather than the rule.

DieSse 22:05 21 Jun 06

I always used to get manuals with my OEM Seagate drives. There's no really hard and fast rules as to what you might get, other than you probably will get more with Retail packs - and a nice cardboard box ;-))

woodchip 22:13 21 Jun 06

OEM does not have a Software disc. just bare drive

spuds 22:27 21 Jun 06

I am with DieSse on this one. At times there appears to be no hard and fast rule to what you may receive. I have had oem products, and all the clips, brackets, screws and software have been provided. The same rules applies to the warranty, and I would suggest that you check this out before purchase, whether there is a 3 or 1 year warranty being provided.

Companies that offer an extended warranty, normally supply on a 1 year cover, the remaining 2 years via extended extra warranty. PC World use to do this, whether they still do, I would not know, as I purchase mainly from Ebuyer, Novatech etc. Reference to my point was an oem recently purchased item (dvd writer) from Ebuyer, and an item from Novatech previously.Both arrived with all components.

vinnyT 11:28 22 Jun 06

If you already have a hard drive, then you already have the cable, screws and fittings, you can download the software you may need (you prob don't) from the manus website. In this case you can save a few quid and get OEM.

Hope this helps.

citadel 18:35 22 Jun 06

Two things that are always best to get retail box are hard drives and memory.

Pine Man 19:02 22 Jun 06

As I type this I have my fingers crossed!

I have never bought any HDs other than OEMs and never experienced any problems.

As has been said earlier you have probably already got the cables and fixings, you don't need any software and you sure as heck don't need instructions and a flash box.

All my OEMs have been Maxtor and, as far as I can tell, have been exactly the same as the 'full' versions.

Terry Brown 20:57 22 Jun 06

Thanks all. I thought that maybe once you had used it, it wrote a block (instruction) to the hard drive preventing it from being used on another system (or Upgrade)
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…