Hard drives not recognised?

PaulCrane 09:13 01 Nov 04

Owing to some problems (explained in another thread), I decided to take my PC down to its bare minimum of useful components and then put it back together piece by piece to see if I could locate the device causing my problems.

In the course of this, I've disconnected my hard drives. Having put everything back, when the PC tries to boot from the hard drive, it can't seem to "see" them.

The hard drives are master and slave on the primary IDE channel. On the secondary I have a DVD ROM and a DVD RW, which the PC sees fine. When I go into the BIOS, it seems to recognise that a drive is connected but doesn't make it available as an option to boot from. It does not show up on the BIOS startup screen at all, just the two DVD drives.

I can't help but think that I've done something very basic wrong. Any ideas? Any ideas what I should look for?

PaulC

jimv7 09:30 01 Nov 04

Check the cables are plugged into the ide channel correctly.

PaulCrane 09:44 01 Nov 04

I think they are - there only seems to be one way they can be connected. Or is that wrong?

PaulC

PaulCrane 09:21 05 Nov 04

Too invloved to explain here really - took a lot of trial and error in changing cables and bios settings but got there in the end. Still not sure really what went wrong but will tick resolved.

PaulC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…