Hard Drives-Internal..How long do they last?

bretsky 17:35 19 Feb 05

Hi folks,

My Dell Dimension 4300 has one P-ATA 60Gb IBM Deskstar 5200rpm Hard drive, which has gone a bit buzzy on me, it is about 3 1/2 years old and I have about 25 Gbs of data on it.I have had the pc in bits trying to find where on earth this buzz/whistle is coming from with no obvious culprits eg fans etc etc I even unplugged my other HDD which is a Maxtor, then powered up, and heard this whine which then turned into the buzz/whistle which seems to drift in & out.

I have searched and got threads on how to insulate a noisy hard drive, but was wondering how long do they last, before I start to panic about replacing it, bearing in mind that the pc is used on average, 8 hours a day/7 days a week.

bretsky ;0)

howard60 17:48 19 Feb 05

they can die within the guarantee period or last for ever [almost] and anywhere inbetween. Just make sure everything is backed up and then it is just an inconvenience if it dies. I have 1 old drive must be 8 years old which has been noisy since it was first installed.

Diodorus Siculus 17:50 19 Feb 05

It could be on the way out - no harm in getting a new one and using this as a backup.

ton 17:52 19 Feb 05

How long is a piece of string?

Most hard drives last a long time, ten or more years is not unusual.

There is no way to say how long a drive will last, one drive could fail after only a few months and another could last umpteen years.

bretsky 17:57 19 Feb 05

Yes, if the pc was in a busy office you wouldn't hear it, but when a quiet room it is noticeable.
Are this any good click here

Oh, and I was telling my mother about this problem to which she replied "can't you just spray a bit of WD40 on it"...........Bless her.

bretsky ;0)

cycoze 18:02 19 Feb 05

If your sure its the hard drive making the noise and its loud enough to want to muffle it i think i would put my money towards a new hard drive and backup my data.

bretsky 14:00 20 Feb 05

Thank you people for you opinions, shall see how we go, have backups, so it is a case of when!

thanx again.

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…