Hard Drives + Cables

I have purchased this driveDiamondMax Maxline 250Gb 8Mb Cache Hard Disk Drive ATA 133 but i cant get it to work my mother board supports UDMA 66/100/133 now does this mean it supports ATA drives and if so do i need to purchase an IDE to ATA cable to get this to work the drive is def not an SATA as i first wrote in my other posting

JNKScot 20:32 29 May 04

Are you using the correct IDE Cable?

SEASHANTY 20:41 29 May 04

TechGuide - How to install a second hard drive
click here

SEASHANTY 20:48 29 May 04

There is also the Maxtor Installation Guide in .pdf
format
click here

Fruit Bat 20:54 29 May 04

ATA means it will wprk off an IDE cable.

Two types of cable 40 wire /80 wire.

40 wire master at end slave in middle.

80 wire master in middle slave at end.

make sure jumpers set correctly PC will hang on two masters or two slaves on same cable.

Make sure BIOS, CMOS setup sees both drives usually something like F3 to detect all drives.

disk will need to be partioned and formatted before you can store files on it.

Good Luck

Guys i think i should have advised you that this will be the 4th hard drive installed i 3 hard drives and 1 dvd +/- burner to be honest im am not sure if the mother board supports the ATA drive if it does as in pre note do i need to buy IDE to ATA cables and will these also allow me to connect the other drives ok

P.s. if you are wondering how i am going to anothe hard drive fitted when i only have 4 slots i have bought a USB to IDE cnnector

bobbybowls 21:19 29 May 04

get a pci to ide adaptor card

Djohn 21:27 29 May 04

80 strand IDE is still master at the end and slave in the middle.

i have just purchased ide to ata 133 3 head connectors should this work

SEASHANTY 11:49 30 May 04

Are you perhaps encountering the 137GB Bios limit on ATA hard drives. See this article from Scott Mueller
click here
UDMA and UATA drives are exactly the same so that makes no difference. It may be that your motherboard bios does not support drives over 150GB. Most of the HDD manufacturers have drive overlay programmes to overcome this problem.

SEASHANTY 12:07 30 May 04

My posting above - in both cases the drive capacity
should read 137GB. If it is the Bios preventing operation of your new drive there are several links
of relevance on this Google page
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…