hard drives

Mr Tinkles 13:06 27 Jun 03

A situation i have never had to deal with before has arisen. A friend of mine wishes to buy a big fat lovely hard drive to replace his measly 6gb one. Is there a way to transfer his windows xp install over to new one by copying an image from the 6gb one?

stlucia 13:16 27 Jun 03

I don't know how to transfer XP, but others on this forum will be able to help.

But the simplest way must be just to install the new HDD as the second drive, and then use it for all your data and leave the original drive for the operating system and whatever program files are currently on it.

If you but a retail HD, you get all the required software to set up the drive & transfer the system from old to new.

If you buy an OEM drive you don't get this, but most of the HD Mfrs have the software for download from their websites.

Mr Tinkles 13:30 27 Jun 03

seems straight forward enough. thanks for the advice. The hard part now is getting the tight git to part with his cash!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…