Hard drive's

eljanno 16:20 03 Jan 03
  eljanno 16:20 03 Jan 03

Hi All
Could someone point me in the right direction please and tell me the name of a good reasonably priced Hard drive.
My friend and I who are quite new to computer building are going to the local computer fair at the weekend and he is looking to add another hard drive to his system.
Also could someone give me a little advise on how he should add the hard drive, as I said this is the first time we have attempted an upgrade.
Thanks again Guy's
Jan

€dstow 16:26 03 Jan 03

Avoid IBM and Fujitsu. These have very poor reputations here. Maxtor (my own choice) and Western Digital are both given favourable reports.

€d

dimercaprol 16:29 03 Jan 03

Western Digital is good. Seagate often has good prices

Be wary of computer fairs often old stuff 7200rpm HDD maxtor is great with guarantees for all their HDDs from the makers. Separate dvdrom & cdrw cables Add the 2nd HDD onto the same cable as your main HDD check the pin settings bad if you get this wrong I am not sure whether SDR HDD fits with DDR Hdds never tried that 1 has to be master. similarly cdrw & dvdrom should be set as master & slave on separate cable

BrianW 17:12 03 Jan 03

Agree with dimercaprol, I've been using Western Digital for some years, easy to install & reliable, but if noise level is important to you I believe there are some quieter drives around.

goonerbill 19:31 03 Jan 03

eljanno, contrary to what kellysbouncas says, you get very good prices on the latest pc items at computer fairs and its NOT all old stuff. can recommend seagate drives, have used them for years and you should be able to get seagate barracuda 80gb for around £70+, western digital are also a very good make

woodchip 19:34 03 Jan 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5