hard drives

damnthispc 19:50 05 Sep 07

I have a home build pc that is a composite of various spares about the house.
Main board is an Abit UL8 with a 3.4 Athlon 64 cpu, 1gig DDR 400 Ram and a 256mb Nvidia card.
I've come to realise that the this system is slow and I'm guessing it is the HD I installed thats causing the log jam, it's a 4 year old Eide disk.
I'm wondering if I can use a SATA drive as my C drive, thought a 160gb drive with a 16mb cache and use the eide drive as an internal backup drive. would using both types of drives cause a conflict?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:59 05 Sep 07

I'm guessing it is the HD I installed thats causing the log jam, it's a 4 year old Eide disk.

Only if its in PIO mode instead of DMA.

a) Hard drives / IDE Channels:

i) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

hello damnthispc,
i have 1 sata(raptor 10000 rpm) drive plus one ide drive..i have them set up as you stated with no probs at all(may be different with os etc) on xp home btw.i set up xp first with sata drivers on floppy(press f6 when requested)then the ide drive is recognised as normal..i think i set up with sata drive first(installation of xp) then once xp was installed, powered down and connected ide drive(saves any confusion with drive letters)there may be another way but thats the way i did it and as i say no probs :)kind regards akanic

damnthispc 23:07 10 Sep 07

thanks fruit bat
the drive is in DMA mode and in NTFS format but still holds the system back so i'm guessing I'm going to copy @[email protected]!cand go SATA
Steve

damnthispc 03:41 18 Jul 08

I wrote this a year ago and now I'm in a similar position again, yet another rebuild after my IDE drive went and died and thought, time for an upgrade. i now have a machine with a BIOSTAR Socket AM2 Intel 64-bit Motherboard, AMD Athlon 4200+ X2 Dual Core Socket AM2 64-bit Processor with 1 x 2GB DDR2 800 Memory. As this is a SATA board, I installed a 160gig drive as Drive C.
this board has 4 SATA sockets and 1 Eide (optical drives). I'd like to use a spare IDE drive as a back up store but have no idea if this can be used internally.
Does any one make a IDE to SATA converter cable and if so how would I set it up. I have enough cable clutter as it is so I don't want to go the external caddy route.
Any one tried this?

xania 08:56 18 Jul 08
  Batch 13:17 18 Jul 08

If you have a spare IDE drive, you could just put it in an external caddy. I bought one of these click here

Cost around £10 to 12 incl. p&p

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…