Hard Drives....

Ade_1 22:12 12 Sep 05

Hi, im considering buying a new Hard Drive for my computer as well as a graphics card, but i was wondering if the Hard drive has to be compatible with the Motherboard, or Processor etc... and if i did put a new one in, would i need to run an installation of Windows by a proper instalation disc or would a Recovery CD be ok? Any help would be greatly appriciated thanks!

Totally-braindead 22:31 12 Sep 05

If you have IDE drives, which I assume you have, any IDE hard drive will do but you don't mention operating system, if its XP theres no problem, if its Win 98 then it has differculty seeing a size above 137gig, but then if you geta 40, 80 or 120 theres no problem. Regarding using a recovery CD that may be a problem, it would probably install on a new hard drive ok but the graphics may be a problem. I presume since you ask this a recovery disk is what you have.

Totally-braindead 22:33 12 Sep 05

Appologies for the terrible english, used the word problem far too much, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Ade_1 22:35 12 Sep 05

i have a recovery CD yes, and i use Win XP - but i was looking for a SATA drive... but i dont know alot about Hard drives... (am i using wrong term Drive, should i be using disk) apologies if i am

woodchip 22:40 12 Sep 05

Just buy and fit a EIDE ATA drive and set the Drive jumper to SLAVE at the back edge of the drive. You can fit it on the same ribbon as the other hard drive if nothing is connected to it.

woodchip 22:41 12 Sep 05

After doing the above you have to set it up with XP Disc Management.

Ade_1 22:45 12 Sep 05

ok thanks, ill think it over, if i have anymore quieries i will come back for more help.. ill leave it unresolved until i have had good thought about it. Thanks to everyone for their help!!

Totally-braindead 22:45 12 Sep 05

SATA drives use a much thinner cable and are not the same as IDE drives you can only install a SATA drive if you motherboard supports it. If you have an IDE drive you will see a flat grey ribbon cable connecting it to the motherboard. If you're unsure then check your manual or download this click here and then post the make and model of your motherboard and someone will be able to help.

Ade_1 22:49 12 Sep 05

my motherboard is an Asus A7A266-E The computer is decently old, two and a half years old now, just i only have a 60GB Hard Drive and its getting full. Whats advantage of having a slave aswell?

Strawballs 22:50 12 Sep 05
  Ade_1 22:53 12 Sep 05

Thanks, ill look into that. didnt know you could do it lol, anyway i must be going c ya

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017