hard drives

JAI826 13:32 27 Oct 04

can you just swop old h/drives with operatating systam straight into new motherboard..cheers
jai

jimv7 13:38 27 Oct 04

Its not advisable, even though some have done it, a clean install with new mobo is recommended.

Not only does it clean out the chaff but new mobo drivers are installed easier.

hillybilly 13:39 27 Oct 04

The simple answer is yes with Win98 and Win ME, and no with Win2k and Win XP

Win 98 and ME you would have to install the new mobo drivers.

XP would be a totally new install and I sure also for Win2k.

TomJerry 14:07 27 Oct 04

It shold work for all most all cases, no matter 2k or XP. But, uninstall motherboard driver for old board before swap in case any conflict. Once you boot up with new board, install driver for new motherbaord.

Even if it does not work, you can fix it. Put Win2k or XP CD in CD-ROM, restart PC and make it boot up from CD. When you see menu of option, select Recovery Consonl, then just type "fixboot" it will fix it. Still not work, type "help" under console, you can find a lot of commands to try.

For XP, you need to reactivate with Microsoft if your version is OEM or Retail version. If your version is large volumn coorporation version, then no reactivative is needed.

alan227 14:12 27 Oct 04

You cannot use an OEM XP OS on another machine.
It can only be used on the computer it was origonally installed on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…