hard drives

conrail 16:38 29 Jan 04

Just received 2 gifts from my sisters unbeknown to eath other, both sent 120 Hard Drives, as my system already has a 60Gb hard drive running xp pro and I know I can add a 2nd, can I also add a 3rd? don't want to offend either sister by returning theirs, also will both be set as slave jumpers? don't want to throw out my original 60gb hd, I asmume I need a cradle or will 3rd drive sit on the floor of my tower?

ventanas 16:43 29 Jan 04

Depends, if you already have two optical drives eg cd and dvd, then the answer is no, unless you add a second IDE controller to a spare pci slot.

Not recommended to let a hard drive "sit on the floor." The vibtration could damage it. You will need some sort of cradle.

Diemmess 16:48 29 Jan 04

With suitable cradles you now already have the expensive parts for a removable (second HD)

Sheila-214876 16:49 29 Jan 04

You can have 2 drives on each IDE connection. So, if you only have 1 hard drive and 1 CD drive you should have enough space for 2 more Hard/CD drives.
The setup would be your main hard drive as Master plus a second hard drive as Slave on the primary IDE port and a second hard drive and CD on the Secondary IDE port as Master and Slave. If your CD is a CD/RW then it needs to be the Master so another Hard Disk on the same IDE port would need to be a Slave. Of course, it would also depend on whether your BIOS can accept 120gb hard drives as well, but as you already have a 60gb hard drive that shouldn't be a problem.

conrail 17:01 29 Jan 04

I have 1 HD + 1 CDRW = 1 DVD drive

conrail 17:03 29 Jan 04

have set up 1 of the new HD as slave no problem so now had 1 master HD, 1 slave HD + CDRW + DVD plus 1 120 GB hard drive sitting in its box

ventanas 17:04 29 Jan 04

That's your lot then, unless you add another controller, or remove one of the existing drives. The maximum number of IDE devices is four.

Diemmess 17:11 29 Jan 04

Why not set yourself up with removable drives as I suggested at the 3rd post?

That way you can use either big disk, and have the security of a safe haven for backups

conrail 17:11 29 Jan 04

thanks for all your help, will just put 1 away for future use

Rennaissance 17:13 29 Jan 04

why not remove your 60 gb harddrive and install both 120 gigs. Then copy the data from your old drive to new drive with some software.

bananaslik 17:18 29 Jan 04

take out the 60gig and give it to meeeeeeeee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…