hard drives

conrail 16:38 29 Jan 04

Just received 2 gifts from my sisters unbeknown to eath other, both sent 120 Hard Drives, as my system already has a 60Gb hard drive running xp pro and I know I can add a 2nd, can I also add a 3rd? don't want to offend either sister by returning theirs, also will both be set as slave jumpers? don't want to throw out my original 60gb hd, I asmume I need a cradle or will 3rd drive sit on the floor of my tower?

ventanas 16:43 29 Jan 04

Depends, if you already have two optical drives eg cd and dvd, then the answer is no, unless you add a second IDE controller to a spare pci slot.

Not recommended to let a hard drive "sit on the floor." The vibtration could damage it. You will need some sort of cradle.

Diemmess 16:48 29 Jan 04

With suitable cradles you now already have the expensive parts for a removable (second HD)

Sheila-214876 16:49 29 Jan 04

You can have 2 drives on each IDE connection. So, if you only have 1 hard drive and 1 CD drive you should have enough space for 2 more Hard/CD drives.
The setup would be your main hard drive as Master plus a second hard drive as Slave on the primary IDE port and a second hard drive and CD on the Secondary IDE port as Master and Slave. If your CD is a CD/RW then it needs to be the Master so another Hard Disk on the same IDE port would need to be a Slave. Of course, it would also depend on whether your BIOS can accept 120gb hard drives as well, but as you already have a 60gb hard drive that shouldn't be a problem.

conrail 17:01 29 Jan 04

I have 1 HD + 1 CDRW = 1 DVD drive

conrail 17:03 29 Jan 04

have set up 1 of the new HD as slave no problem so now had 1 master HD, 1 slave HD + CDRW + DVD plus 1 120 GB hard drive sitting in its box

ventanas 17:04 29 Jan 04

That's your lot then, unless you add another controller, or remove one of the existing drives. The maximum number of IDE devices is four.

Diemmess 17:11 29 Jan 04

Why not set yourself up with removable drives as I suggested at the 3rd post?

That way you can use either big disk, and have the security of a safe haven for backups

conrail 17:11 29 Jan 04

thanks for all your help, will just put 1 away for future use

Rennaissance 17:13 29 Jan 04

why not remove your 60 gb harddrive and install both 120 gigs. Then copy the data from your old drive to new drive with some software.

bananaslik 17:18 29 Jan 04

take out the 60gig and give it to meeeeeeeee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009