Hard drive wiping

Be_86 20:58 21 Feb 12

I want to put my Packard Bell Easynote BG45-U-300 up for sale on Ebay as it's rubbish - it still works but it overheats, the charger connection is shot to bits and it's super slow. I obviously understand that I need to wipe everything off it (I've already transferred all my personal documents / music / photos to my new laptop) but I know that 4 years worth of deleted items etc will still be sitting there and I don't know how to wipe them. I've spent hours googling it and all I keep reading is that I need to use a specific disk to re-format it. My issue is that it's a notebook and doesn't have a CD drive so I've hit a bit of a brick wall. I really don't want to take it to a computer shop to spend money getting it wiped otherwise I may as well chuck it in the bin but I'd at least try to make a bit of money out of it!

So my question is:

How do I wipe my laptop without having to use a disk?

Help and advice would be very much appreciated!

john bunyan 21:18 21 Feb 12

If you have CCleaner (free) go to Tools, Options, Drive wiper. Choose entire drive, 7 passes. You could opt for 35 passes but either will take a very long time.

CCleaner free version:

http://www.piriform.com/

john bunyan 21:19 21 Feb 12

PS I think these wipes are even used by US agencies.

robin_x 21:22 21 Feb 12

You can boot from a USB flash stick instead of CD/DVD.

Download unetbootin

Download DBAN iso 2.2.6 beta for CD etc

Run unetbootin and browse to iso.

Confirm the drive letter for your flash drive is correct!

Reboot with flash drive on the old netbook.

Be_86 21:34 21 Feb 12

Great thanks - I'll try them out when I have a bit more time. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…