hard drive wipe

carver 10:36 19 Oct 14
Answered

I think my lad has caught a nasty on his hard drive and I'm having problems reinstalling windows 7, at the moment he has a Barracuda 7200rpm 1 TB hard drive and it started behaving very strangely.

I've managed to reinstall windows 7 but there are 2 partitions on it that refuse to go, one is 99.9mb that is marked system reserved but there is another one of 200mb that totally refuses to go.

I can't get auto run to work to load any anti virus, can not connect to internet to download any anti virus.

The question is will a low level format be enough to restore this drive to factory settings or will it need something stronger

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:42 19 Oct 14

what are you using to wipe the drive?

have you got the windows 7 DVD

run command prompt from the DVD and use dskprt to wipe all partions off the drive and then format.

carver 11:52 19 Oct 14

Hi, The problem is now that auto run will not work, tried booting from DVD and keep getting message some thing like that no bootable device found.

And already tried diskpart and keep getting no disk found, at the moment I've put it in a caddy and trying to format it using windows.

If this doesn't work wondered if CCleaner could wiped it for me.

Aren't computers fun.

carver 11:54 19 Oct 14

Well tried that and computer says "can't format drive L"

carver 12:02 19 Oct 14

Another try with CCleaner to erase entire drive, came back with message .

This volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

I AM NOW GETTING PARANOID.

bumpkin 12:20 19 Oct 14

I am sure you would have checked this but is autoplay ticked in control panel.

carver 12:30 19 Oct 14

bumpkin that has been ticked and reticked until I've run out of ticks.

I am at a loss as to how to format this drive, I don't think the drive is faulty but then how would I know.

Keep looking at this drive and thinking a little bit of lead would cure it, delivered from one of these

Ian in Northampton 12:31 19 Oct 14

Do you know for sure that your W7 DVD is bootable? They aren't always...

bumpkin 12:54 19 Oct 14

I don't know if this is even relevant but my Win7 HDD has always had a 100MB partition called System Reserved.

carver 14:04 19 Oct 14

There is a 99.9mb partition that I understand is for windows it's the 200mb partition that I have no idea were it came from and the fact that I can't delete it is rather worrying.

And the windows 7 disc I have is a bootable version, in fact tried all 3 with no success, and as I stated can't get anything to run in DVD drive, it start up then spins down without doing anything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:13 19 Oct 14

99.9 Mb is normal and should be at start of drive

BIOS needs to be set to boot first from DVD , second HDD,

Is this a fairly modern machine the drives may be using UEFI GPT format rather than the old MSR and the 200MB partition is required?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…