Hard drive will not turn on.

castiel333 22:00 08 Feb 07

Hi

When I went to switch on my mothers computer it would not turn on. The indicator light near the switch does not come on.

There has never been any problems with it before and it was fine the last time it was switched on.

I have checked that the plug is ok and that the electrical lead is in properly but Im not sure what else to try.

I would really appreciate any advice on what the problem could be.

The pc is three years old and the operating system is xp.

Thank you.

Technotiger 22:02 08 Feb 07

Hi, did you check fuse in plug?

Technotiger 22:03 08 Feb 07

Also is the computer itself switched on at the back of the case?

STREETWORK 22:05 08 Feb 07

Sounds like the power supply is kaput, but it could also be the on button.

Open the case and check for obvious signs of damage to the switch, make sure you unplug it first.

Check the power supply for any signs of burning smell.

Also just check that there does not appear to be any loose connections from the power supply.

Try a different cable

Check the fuse in the plug.

sorry to sound obvious with some of this but you would be amazed how often some things are missed.

If you see nothing wrong I would suspect the power supply and you would need a new one.

skidzy 22:08 08 Feb 07

Have you experienced any storms while the system was left on ?

Do you hear anything from the system at all..fans spinning etc...

Possibly a failing Power supply unit or dead motherboard if all leads and switch check out ok.

castiel333 22:10 08 Feb 07

Thank you for your replies.

Yes I did check those Technotiger the fuse is fine and it was switched on at the back.

I will try your suggestions when Im at my mothers tommorrow Streetwork and will post back.

Thank you for your help very much appreciated.

castiel333 22:12 08 Feb 07

Im sorry Im not sure what a storm is Skidzy but there were no unusual noises when it was on last.

Technotiger 22:16 08 Feb 07

storm .... Thunder-storm!

castiel333 22:19 08 Feb 07

Oh I feel really stupid.

Im not technically minded and thought storm might be some kind of pc term.

Im really sorry.

skidzy 22:19 08 Feb 07

No problem Joy.

Basically i lost a system last year due to electrical surges from an overhead storm.This resulted in the motherboard/psu getting fried.

Looks like you may have to go into the case of the pc.

If you need more advice on this,please keep all replies/responses to this thread to reduce confusion.

We can help diagnose the problem and help you through it.

castiel333 22:23 08 Feb 07

Thank you skidzy.

I will check everything that I have been advised to tommorrow and then I will post back on this thread.

And once again I really appreciate all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…