hard drive> what is on it when new?

Morpheus© 12:21 08 Jun 03

hi, I realize my last couple of posts have revolved around the same thing :-(

so i would like to start a new.. when you get a new drive, what is on it? and can it ever be put back to that state?

i would like to do this in easy steps..thanks

-pops- 13:01 08 Jun 03

I think it is called a low level format which activates the disks and makes them able to do whatever is expected of them later. Bit doubtful whether this state can be truly achieved again as even reformatting does not remove all previous data Anyone determined enough can find data on an apparently "clean" disk if it has ever been used.

click here for information on software that will do this, including software not available to us "mere mortals".

jazzypop 13:11 08 Jun 03

All drive manufacturers provide a 'low level formatting' utility, usually as a free download from their website.

Can you explain the reason for asking? Is it purely curiosity, for an exam paper, because you have a specific problem?

The original question can be answered in a variety of ways, from the highly technical to the clear and simple :)

Maybe links to your previous posts would help us put this question into some sort of context?

Morpheus© 13:43 08 Jun 03

ok, story so far, got a new drive,used seagate's software to transfer everything over, went as sweet as a nut, unplugged the leads and left it in as a spare, now realize that was a waste of money, the seagate drive is 60gb, the drive at the moment is 30, i want to transfer everything again and use the drive as the main drive,now for the problem..the small drive i am using has all the network stuff on it, which i did not have on the seagate drive...the software will not allow me to transfer the data over, i have been into DOS, and tried the format thingy, none of that worked, it did format, but that was it.. now nothing will work on it..... more details if anyone wants them

PS: started this on thursday.. :-((((

jazzypop 14:04 08 Jun 03

Hmm - still not entirely clear. Tell me if I have got this right.

1. You had a 30GB drive, and added a second 60GB drive.

2. You used the supplied Seagate utility to transfer the contents of your 30GB drive to your 60GB drive.

3. There is an unclear situation now ... you say "that was a waste of money" and the "drive at the moment is 30" - I'll come back to this.

4. The 30GB drive has 'network stuff' (?), which did not transfer to the 60GB drive?

5. You have tried the 'format thingy' - on which drive, the 60GB or the 30GB drive?

Back to point 3 - if I recall, the Seagate utility will create an exact image of one drive onto another. Therefore, if you copy a 30GB drive to a 60GB drive, I think that it will create a 30GB partition on the 60GB drive, and leave the remaining 30GB unpartitioned. I also seem to recall that, if you read the Seagate documentation carefully, you have the option to either just create a 30GB partition, or to use the full capacity (60GB) of the 'target' drive.

It may help you to read click here

click here

click here

click here

Please tell us if I have misunderstood any part of your predicament.

Morpheus© 14:55 08 Jun 03

sorry if i was not clear, the waste of money bit,having it in the PC and not using it..

i put the new 60gb drive in, hereinafter known as seagate, as a slave, changed my mind and made it a master, no problem, software done it all for me. once it was made into a master drive, i unplugged it, and left it in the PC in case it all ever went down the kermit..then all i would need to do was change the leads and carry on.

this was 6 months ago, since then, with help,i installed a wireless network, on the original drive "maxtor" which is 30gb.. last week i thought i would make the seagate drive the master, i could not just transfer the network settings over, because i did not know how.. so it was..put in seagates diskwizard,made the drive back into a slave, thinking it would rub the drive clean and transfer the lot over again,first message was "can not format this drive" so with help on here,i made the seagate drive back into a master, i went into DOS, And at the "A" prompt, with a start up disk in, trying every format command know to man, it finally started to format, when i tried again with the seagate software, it goes into a loop, telling me to enter CMOS and set the drive to AUTO..which it is. from there, there is no way out, apart from pulling the plug out..

pj123 15:16 08 Jun 03

First thing to do is - disconnect the 30gb hard drive. Make the 60gb the master. go into the BIOS and get primary master detected. save settings and exit. Put your floppy boot disk in and when at the A:\ prompt type in fdisk and press enter.

Two choices now: make the whole disk 1 partition or split it into 2 or more partitions - your choice. Once it has been partitioned and made active exit out and reboot with the floppy boot disk. Now when at the A:\ prompt type in format c: and press enter.

If you made more than one partition you will also need to format the other partition, possibly format d: ???

Once the formatting is done make the 60gb the slave and reconnect the 30gb as master, Check the BIOS again - make sure both drives are detected.

Now boot into windows and then go to start run and type in xcopy c:\*.* /e/h/k/r/c d: and press enter. When that has finished shut down and switch the drives over - 60gb master and 30gb slave and reboot. Job done.

Morpheus© 15:34 08 Jun 03

thank you, i will print this out and have a go, i might be gone some time...but i will return , i hope...

keith-236785 21:59 08 Jun 03

xcopy c:\*.* /e/h/k/r/c d:

what does this mean?
i know they are all commands, but what do they stand for ( xcopy C:\*.*) is copy all files from drive c: and the d: at the end is the destination drive but /e/h/k/r/c you have got me.......

keith-236785 22:04 08 Jun 03

re your initial question

some older motherboards had a option in the bios to "perform low level format", this was supposed to return the drive to "ex factory condition". this option seems to have dissapeared lately, well at least on my ECS K7S5A it has.

format C:/U (Unconditional) might do something similar....

Bluescreen 00:33 09 Jun 03

When I had a problem with my seagate once, I had to use their disk wizard to write the h/d to Zeros. I had to do this as for some reason,I could not load Xp onto the system without an error, even after reformating. Does writing it to Zeros take formatting back another stage or is it the same as reformating?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…