hard drive upgrade

computer novice 14:38 02 Jan 04

i want to upgrade my harddrive is there a size limit that i can't exceed and how do i do it please help!

bremner 14:43 02 Jan 04

what is your operating system and current machine spec ?

computer novice 14:49 02 Jan 04

i'm on xp home and currently 20Gig hdd and speed of 1.8gigs 256ram

the kopite 15:07 02 Jan 04

windows xp is ntfs there for there should be no limit to the sise of the hard drive

computer novice 15:50 02 Jan 04

how would i go about it though?

bremner 16:05 02 Jan 04

It may be better for you to retain the existing drive and add a second.

This is very straight forward and does not require much technical know how.

The benefit being that you do not have to re load your operating system and you gain an extra 20GB over whatever new drive you install

Bris 22:21 02 Jan 04

Best to go no higher than 120Gb there is a nasty trap waiting for the unwary called 28 bit lba. This site offers some useful info..

click here

cream. 23:00 02 Jan 04

Go to my computer and right click your "C" drive. Scroll down to properties and look for the file system. Because you only have a 20gig drive installed your file system could be either fat32 or ntfs.Anything under 32gig and you have the option of either the fat32 or ntfs file system for x\p. It also depends if this is a fresh installation of x\p or an upgrade from 98 or m.e.

As bremner says, if you keep your current hard drive, with x\p on it. Then the slave you install should have no problems.

Formatting a slave drive is easy. Boot to windows and right click my computer. Scroll down to manage, hit enter and then pick disk management. The new drive will show, with the others on the bottom right of the screen. You can then partition and format a slave drive in windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…