//some 3rd party need geo

Hard drive upgrade?

Newuser579 17:13 02 Nov 03

My Packard Bell P2 350mhz model 9350 had a 3.2gig hard drive when new - circa 1998 but this was swaped for a 10gig hard drive ages ago. I can't now find the PCs manual. I've seen cheap 120gig IDE hard drive for sale that will help with storage for my digi cam. Will it work with the PC? I don't want to waste the money if not. Any ideas? A friend did the 10 gig upgrade, & if its viable I'm sure will help with this. Any pointers appreciated. Thanks.

Josquius 17:38 02 Nov 03

Could be a bit iffy with packard bell as I've heard they don't do things by the industry standard though for most computers it should work OK- though you would have to remove one of the existing hard drives.

MAJ 17:45 02 Nov 03

It should work alright, Newuser579, but you'll need a BIOS upgrade, or a drive overlay utility from the manufacturer's website, in order that the larger drive will be recognised.

PS. if it's an IBM drive, steer clear.

Fred the flour grader 20:04 02 Nov 03

Hi Newuser 579:

You may have to check your Motherboard capabilities. I Put a 80Gb in my computer last year and used the original 6.4Gb as a Master to it. However my Motherboard only recognises drives upto 12Gb or so. To get round it I had a lot of help from guys in the Helproom who basically walked me through the process step by step.
I had to install a PCI card with its own BIOS on It, it only cost ?14.00 from Maplin and the new drive works like a dream.
My PC is about the same age as yours but it is not Packard Bell.
I hope this helps you, but rest assured the guys in this Helproom have helped me on many occasions, they can rectify anything

hugh-265156 21:03 02 Nov 03

going by click here

then click here should be your motherboard.

bios updates if you need them click here

click here

Newuser579 19:31 03 Nov 03

I looked on the PB site but couldn't see the pages Huggyg71 found. I think the consensous of opinion is it should work, but previous advice told me not to bugger with the BIOS. Don't be shy with any further advice, it's all gratefully received & definately needed.

Newuser579 22:51 03 Nov 03

Oh I also forgot to say I've no free PCI slots, so if I need another card I'm goosed! I noticed other chat about these drives on offer at Maplins, but nothing about fitting one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…