I have never done an upgrade before and I need some info...I have a
several years old Packard Bell C300 which I want to upgrade HD memory
on.. I have been told that I can use any drive but I now have seen that
the system may not "recognise" all of the memory if I go too large.. I
have searched PB site, web and groups but cant find info specific to the
C300.. Would anyone care to direct me on this.. The drive I would to add
is the "Maxtor Fireball3 40GB UDMA133".

woodchip 11:11 07 Feb 03

What is your Operating System how old the computer there may be a limitation with the BIOS

Ghloria 11:29 07 Feb 03

OS windows 98 5.5 Computer at least 5 years old.

woodchip 11:53 07 Feb 03

No bios updates, just checked Packard Bell. only thing you can try is if you get a Seagate Barracuda 7200 you will be able to run it with the software that you get with the drive or download from the site. It may not need it but I think it Will

Ç̧ÇØ 12:24 07 Feb 03

32Gb is maximum unless you buy a PCI IDE controller

DieSse 12:25 07 Feb 03

There are two possible (probable) limits on a 5 year-old system.

Firstly, the system amy not be able to recogise the full capacity of the drive. You can try it, but it's unlikely. There are three possible fixes.

a) - An updated BIOS - woodchip has checked this and says this isn't an option for you.

b) - A plug-in controller card

c) - A utility program from the HDD manufacturer - most of them have it for free download from their site.

Secondly, the drive will not run at it's full rated UDMA/ATA speed (this is the the 100/133MHz bit of the spec). This won't stop it working, however.

If your system is capable of operating above UDMA33, then you will need an 80 wire IDE cable to use the higher speeds - but in any case it's unlikely your system will go above UDMA66. The only fix for this (if you want to fix it) is a plug-in controller card. The 80 wire cable is a good idea whatever you do, though.

Ç̧ÇØ 12:35 07 Feb 03

click here to see if a bios upgrade is availabel

Ghloria 13:59 07 Feb 03

Please remember I am a beginer at all of this

I am not sure what my options therefore are, it seems to me

1..Seagate Barracuda 7200

or 2..get a utility program from the HDD manufacturer - most of them have it for free download from their site.

Will the system recognise all the memory with these options.

With the options above do I need to purchase anything else (money v tight)

Ç̧ÇØ 14:12 07 Feb 03

its more than likely that you will need a PCI IDE controller if you want to use the fireball its about £25 - £30

Ghloria 17:44 07 Feb 03

woodchip 19:07 07 Feb 03

With the Seagate you should get the software I mentioned above on a CD with the Drive you will not need anything else

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…