Hard Drive unrecognised by BIOS

Robkenbat 15:31 08 Jul 04

Second hard drive fitted as either slave or cable select. Sometimes, but not always, on bootup system halts and get error message as either No System Disk or Boot Disk Changed. To get round this either press F1 or soft boot with Ctrl/Alt/delete. Mostly both disks are then recognised.
This happens with both disks SATA or one SATA and one IDE as slave. Either main disk or slave/cable select disks may not be recognised.
What causes this? What is the solution\?
I don't think its a Win XP problem as it happens defore XP boots in.

MidgetMan 15:40 08 Jul 04

Could well be the cmos battery starting to fail easy to replace.

Diemmess 15:57 08 Jul 04

Possibly a poor power or data connection to the HD or perhaps to the motherboard. If you have a spare power connection try that one instead.

I'm not convinced with a battery scenario, in my experience it may make the BIOS settings return to factory default and will certainly play silly games with Date and Time.

Try re-making the cable connections, hopefully it might just make the problem go away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…