Hard Drive Transfer

sorceror7374 14:22 15 Apr 06

I'm about to physically move my 2 hard drives from my old computer and install them into my new one. Will the hard drives read the same and WinXP pro boot up the same way as it did in my old PC? Anything I need to be aware of before I make this switch?

alan227 14:34 15 Apr 06

To start off with unless your new computer has the same motherboard and chipset as the old one it is very unlikely to boot, if it does it will be full of errors.
The easiest way to do it it to install a new disk, with a fresh installation of XP, then put each drive in indivudially as a slave drive and copy your files across.
If you do not want to buy another hard drive and have enough room on your master drive, copy your slave drive files onto the master then format you slave drive and set it up as master in your new computer and copy the files across from your master which should be set up as a slve drive to do this.

Diemmess 14:50 15 Apr 06

Your question is simple enough but that procedure is not impossible, it is so intensive and full of snags that it is almost certain to fail.

A fresh installation from a clean HD (however you juggle it) is the only sure way to go.

You will be able to copy back all data of every sort once the fresh version of Windows is installed.

You will have to have the original disks for motherboard, and for all the applications you use. include printer, sound, modem/filter for Internet and allyour email details copied safely away from the primary HD before you format it.

The only exceptions are small self executing files for some of your favourite tweaks. They don't have to be installed anyway.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 15 Apr 06

Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…