Hard Drive Swapping

andycampbell82 11:19 19 May 03

I am getting an new PC and was wondering whether it is possible to take my current hard drive and place it in my new system without having to reinstall any software...
ie. once the motherboard etc is set up on my new system, could I attach the hard drive and everything continue as normal....(i know i would have to reinstall my new hardare)

If not what issues would there be?

The Transporter 11:29 19 May 03

It depends on what o/s your using firstly. If using XP if you change your whole pc it will probably think it has been copied so it will not work, as you can only change so many bits of hard ware in a certain time window.

Secondly if you are using new hardware you will need new drivers but will still have all the old ones on your system.

I personally woul dput all you important data on a few cd-rs and then do a fresh install with all the new drivers to make life very easy.

If not, right click on MY computer and go into properties. Go into device manager and delete all the sound and graphics card/ display drivers. Right click on each one and delete them.

ALso the monitor and IDE ata/atapi drivers. also the computer processor and modem etc. then shut the pc down

then when you plug it into your new pc and start up it will look for all the new drivers.

andycampbell82 11:52 19 May 03

I do use XP unfortunately?!

I suppose it wouldn't take all that long to back up my files. Is it as easy as writing every file from my hard disk to cd then reinstalling XP on my new machine then copying the files over. Or would I have to install each piece of software from scratch?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…