Hard Drive Swap

mjaspey 17:20 27 Jul 07

I have a simple (old) pc in an office running word processor, etc that I wish to replace. I have cobbled together (well, very helpful local pc shop did) an old motherboard and case, up-graded the RAM, attached a new DVD read/writer and a secondary hard drive for storage.
I want to take the hard drive out of the old pc and connect into new set-up as primary drive, thus retaining the OS (XP), data and programs contained on it. I have drivers on disc for the new pc components, I have the XP disc (plus key) but have had one unsuccessful attempt at connection and boot.
Cannot enter safe mode although I can get a help menu which offers to take to me various version of safe mode, normal start-up or prompt. Choosing an option doesn’t go anywhere except a restart.
Have run scandisk from prompt which appears to suggest drives ok following connection.
Question I have is, what’s going wrong? I have downloaded floppy disc set-up discs from Microsoft (systems does seem to boot from floppy) and wondered whether this will help? I don’t want to loose the data/programs on the old hard drive. Although the data is backed-up externally on a tape drive I am worried the floppy set-up results in a clean hard drive?
Thanks to anyone out there for any advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 27 Jul 07

XP will not boot because old drivers conflict on new equipment.

1. Put drive back in old PC

2. remove drivers as per:
Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

3. Put drive in new PC attempt to boot, XP should find and install new hardware, and then run on your new PC.

mjaspey 09:14 28 Jul 07

Thanks Fruit Bat
I am away from computor for weekend will try your suggestion when back to work.
Thanks for the advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac